This is a memorable holiday cake in our family. If you’re not big on rum, skip the alcohol, using other flavorings. Serves 12.
8 eggs total (divided)
5 c. sugar, divided (two 1/2 c. + 4 c. sugar)
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. butter
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
8 egg whites
4 c. water
1 c. rum (or substitute 4 tsp. almond, lemon, or orange extract, plus scant 1 c. water)
1. Beat until fluffy: > 8 egg yolks > 1/2 c. sugar > 2 tsp. vanilla
2. Microwave 40 seconds (until melted): > 2/3 c. butter
3. Set aside mixture of: > 2 c. flour > 1/2 tsp. salt > 2 tsp. baking powder
4. Whip until almost stiff: > 8 egg whites
5. Add slowly to beaten egg whites, while whipping: > 1/2 c. sugar
6. Fold the above ingredients together, incorporating the flour into the whipped egg yolk mix alternately with the melted butter, folding the egg whites in last of all. Bake in a buttered bundt pan at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
7. Begin syrup right away, stirring occasionally, boiling the following in a saucepan until it reaches 235 degrees on a candy thermometer: > 4 c. sugar > 4 c. water
8. When syrup is to temperature, remove and add: > 1 c. rum (or substitute 4 tsp. almond, lemon, or orange extract, plus scant 1 c. water)
9. Leaving cake in pan, pour hot syrup over cake immediately. Let cake soak 2 hours, then turn out onto plate.