Broccoli adds nutrients to a meal and potatoes are a healthy way to thicken the soup without using the flour typically used. It makes this a gluten-free recipe, and if you leave off the parmesan garnish, it’s vegan too! Serves 6-8.
- 2 broccoli crowns (stems too, if available)
- Optional: 1/2 c. leaves or tops of celery
- 3 lb. potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1/3 c. virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
1. Cut broccoli into chunks, then add enough boiling water to broccoli in a pot to cover; simmer until tender. When done, reserve broth (you can then use that broth to cook the potatoes in, or save it to thin the soup out with later. Use: > 2 broccoli crowns (chunks of stems can be used for flavor, and discarded afterward) > Optional: 1/2 c. leaves or tops of celery
2. Also, in a separate pot, cook in hot broth or water (just enough to cover the potatoes): > 3 lb. potatoes, peeled, cubed
3. Remove any chunks of stems from the pot of cooked broccoli; process the broccoli tips, then add the cooked potatoes and puree the mixture some more. An immersion blender works well; if a processor is used, be careful not to process the potatoes for too long, as they can get too starchy if over-processed.
4. Blend or whisk into the pureed veggies: > 1/3 c. virgin olive oil > salt and pepper to taste
5. When ready to serve, reheat soup and garnish with Parmesan cheese.