I believe God gave us the tools to be healthy. I love the verse from Revelation 22:2- describing the wonderful fruit trees lining the river, and how “…the leaves of the tree will heal the nations.” I’m getting healed daily!
You might want to check out my post, “Jen’s List: 8 Diet Ideas for Thyroid Health“. But below is the main “recipe” I use to treat my hypothyroidism naturally. It’s not for everyone. Most folks would rather get a prescription and take a capsule. My friend can get Armour Thyroid from Kaiser through her insurance, and that’s just great. But, being self-employed, I get a more generic insurance that just covers catastrophic events; I have to pay for office visits and prescriptions. So, when my doctor and pharmacy were both causing me grief, I went this route instead. Five things I love about this little recipe:
- I can support my thyroid gland with various supplemental food/herb powders that have been found to improve its function
- I order the ingredients online- super easy!
- It’s all over-the-counter stuff; the “ThyroGold” is rated a “food” (it’s dessicated thyroid gland from cows), so it doesn’t need a prescription. Good news for me since I’m practically going off the medical grid- I had such a bad experience with my doctor and pharmacy.
- I can easily adjust my quantities (even if going down to a quarter pill per serving), because there’s only a half-capsule of ThyroGold in each tablespoon of the powder. To reduce dosage is easy- I just take less than a tablespoon-size serving.
- If I was to try to wean myself completely off of even natural thyroid, I could do it very gradually with this powdered mix
I originally took 6 capsules of the Thyrogold to get the same effect that I was getting from my 97.5 mg. of prescribed thyroid. I don’t actually know exactly what I was getting from the pharmacy, whether it was comparable to Levothyroxine, Synthroid, or what. They had originally promised they could get me something akin to Armour Thyroid, which was unavailable at the time. After six years, I discovered they’d been giving me synthetic thyroid the whole time. I was pretty disappointed! (Was that why my health and well-being had gradually declined?) I started in on my new, natural approach, and as my thyroid health improved over this past year, I’ve worked down to one capsule of dessicated thyroid per day, split into two doses. I have not felt this good in eight years, since originally getting diagnosed and getting treated by my doctor. The synthetic thyroid had been better for me than nothing at all (I was starting to really fall apart), but it never seemed to improve my health as much as this natural approach has.
This makes about 7 1/2 cups, lasting me just over two months when using 1 TBS. twice a day. It’s got a half capsule of Thyrogold in each serving. And it mixes easily into a small jar of water- just shake it up and drink! (Be sure to add water first, “ThyroGreen” next.)
- 3 c. Spirulina (8 ounces, or sub all chlorella, if desired)
- 3 c. Chlorella (one 8-ounce bag)
- 1/2 c. Ashwagandha Root Powder (.123 lb.)
- rounded 1/3 c. Nopal Powder (.064 lb.)
- rounded 1/3 c. Tart Cherry Powder(.117 lb.)
- 1/2 c. Heather’s Tummy Fiber (.117 lb.)
- 1/2 c. Psyllium Seed Powder (.128 lb.)
- 66 capsules ThyroGold
Mixing the dried ingredients up and putting into jars can be messy, but it’s worth it for me. Let me know if you try it!