Baking is one of the easiest ways to prepare fish. For a quick meal, set on a bed of grated carrots and zucchini (or other favorites). Being grated, the veggies will cook about as quickly as the fish; the whole package can be wrapped in foil (or parchment), and popped in the oven.
Almost any sauce will do, to accompany the fish. But for a treat, the following microwave method works great for a quick Hollandaise Sauce. Substitute olive oil for the butter, if butter’s a concern (just add extra salt).
Use favorite varieties of fish, in steak or fillet form: Salmon or Tuna steaks, or fillets of trout (and others) are all options. Some markets carry frozen tuna steaks that are convenient to stock in the freezer, if fresh aren’t available. The steaks will take a bit longer than fillets to cook. Serves 4.
- 2 lb. tuna or salmon steaks, or fillets, or fish of your choice
- 2 TBS. (plus 1 TBS.) olive oil
- 2 TBS. (plus 3 TBS.) lemon juice
- 1-2 carrots, peeled
- 2-3 zucchinis
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 c. butter (or substitute olive oil and 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 3 TBS. lemon juice
1. Time permitting, marinate tuna steaks a day ahead of time. Use: > 2 lb. tuna steaks > 2 TBS. olive oil > 2 TBS. lemon juice
2. If lacking time, the tuna should still be fairly tender, even if you bake it without marinating it. Prepare veggies, to layer onto a large piece of foil, under the fish. By grating them, they should get done in the same length of time as the fish (unless you eat your fish quite rare.) Grate: > 1-2 carrots, peeled > 2-3 zucchinis
3. Place grated veggies on large piece of aluminum foil, sprinkling with: > 1 TBS. or so olive oil
4. On top of veggies, place: > 2 lb. tuna or salmon steaks, or fillets, or fish of your choice (marinated, if possible)
5. If not marinated, top with: > 1 TBS. more olive oil > juice from 1-2 lemons
6. Pull up the foil at the corners, to enclose ingredients; fish will stay moist this way. Place on baking sheet, or big pan; cook in oven at 375 degrees for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on thickness of fish and how well done you like it. Meanwhile, prepare sauce. To serve, arrange grated veggies on plate, add fish (removing skin if necessary). Add sauce and a bit of parsley, as desired.
1. Mix in small ceramic bowl: > 2 egg yolks
2. In separate bowl (glass measuring cup works well), microwave 30-60 seconds to melt: > 1/2 c. butter (or substitute olive oil) > 3 TBS. lemon juice
3. Slowly add melted butter/lemon to the yolk mixture. Microwave entire mixture 10-15 seconds at a time. Stir well after each time, microwaving in 10-15 second-increments until mixture gets hot and thickens. It also continues cooking a bit on its own; don’t overcook it! If making the sauce with olive oil, add 1/2 tsp. salt.
4. Serve the fish on the bed of grated veggies, topped with sauce, and chopped chives and lemon peel, if desired.