Celery seed adds flavor and potatoes thicken this soup without adding flour or gluten. Leeks are sautéed, which brings out their sweetness, making the perfect garnish. A little virgin olive oil adds richness, while still keeping it vegan. Makes 6 or so servings.
- 1 whole bunch celery, including bottom, rinsed well, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 2 lb. or so potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 TBS. Vege-sal (or 1 1/ 2 tsp. salt)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 c. virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks
1. Pressure cook for 20 min. or so (or simmer for 40 min.), until tender: > 1 whole bunch celery, cut in chunks (including bottom) > 1/2 tsp. celery seed > boiling water to cover
2. Pour off and reserve broth (to cook potatoes in). Use immersion blender to puree the softened, cooked celery. (Or use food processor.) Strain through a mesh strainer to remove strings; set aside.
3. Cook potatoes in the reserved broth (add more water to cover, if necessary). Cook about 20 min. more, until tender: > 2 lb. or so potatoes, peeled, diced
4. Use immersion blender (or processor) again; process the strained celery and potatoes and liquid, just until smooth. Process: > The cooked celery and potato > the cooking broth > 1 TBS. Vege-sal (or 1 1/2 tsp. salt) > juice of 1/2 lemon > 1/3 c. Virgin olive oil
5. Also prepare the leeks. Look for any grit; rinse and clean as necessary. Slice finely into small rings; add to a hot skillet with a dash of olive oil and a splash of water. Grill until the leeks are tender and slightly browned. Use: > 2 leeks, sliced
6. Heat soup to serve and garnish with the sautéed leeks.