The following recipe makes extra of the rice, which is nice—it makes a great side dish later in the week. It keeps well, and can even be frozen. And- it’s perfect for gluten-free folks!
To “stuff” the chicken, simply lift the skin up off the breast a bit, stuffing the rice underneath. (The trickiest part may be in locating chicken breast that still has the skin on it.) Use any amount of chicken breasts, according to how many servings are needed. This recipe will serve 7-8, plus extra wild rice stuffing.
- 3 1/2 c. water, plus 3 more c. water
- 1 c. wild rice
- 3-4 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, peeled, left whole to cook until tender
- 2 c. white rice (if brown rice, cook 40 min.)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- hearty splash of olive oil
- 2 1/2 tsp. Vege-sal (found at Health Food Stores, or sub 1 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 1 1/2 c. walnuts (toast if desired)
- 1/3 c. frozen orange concentrate
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 7 or 8 chicken breasts with skin on (bone in, if desired)
- 8 oz. can of pitted black cherries
- Chicken stock, water, or black cherry juice to make 1 1/2 c. liquid
- 3 TBS. brown sugar
- 1 TBS. corn starch
1. Prepare Wild Rice Stuffing ahead of time, even a day earlier. In pot with a lid, bring to boil: > 3 1/2 c. water
2. Add the following the pot, to precook the wild rice: > 1 c. wild rice > more: > 2 c. brown rice (if white rice, cook 15 minutes)
3. Grill in pan until tender: > 1 small onion, diced > 2 stalks celery, chopped > the pre-cooked, diced carrot > hearty splash of olive oil
4. To the pot of cooked rice, add: > The grilled celery, onion, carrot > 2 1/2 tsp. Vege-sal (found at Health Food Stores, or sub 1 1/2 tsp. salt) > 1 1/2 c. walnuts (toast if desired) > 1/3 c. frozen orange concentrate > 1/2 tsp. thyme
5. In 13 x 9 ” dish, use: > 7 or 8 chicken breasts with skin on (bone in, if desired)
6. Lift skin from the chicken and stuff with: > The cooked wild rice mixture
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or so, until chicken is golden and cooked through. Meanwhile, make Black Cherry Sauce.
Black Cherry Sauce
1. Drain one 8 oz. can of pitted black cherries, set cherries aside, use juice in sauce. Mix together in sauce pan: > Juice of 8 oz. can black cherries, plus enough stock, water, or black cherry juice to make 1 1/2 c. liquid > 3 TBS. brown sugar > 1 TBS. corn starch
2. Turn pan on high, stirring until it comes to a boil. Lower heat, let sauce cook 1 minute more, then add reserved cherries. Serve over the chicken.