This is an easy yet elegant dessert; perfect to finish off a fancy meal with! Using organic oranges for the candied orange peel is best; it can be prepared ahead and kept refrigerated for a month or so. The crust can be made a day early, and is a simple one that is pressed into the pan; no rolling out dough here! And the chocolate ingredients can be melted and mixed up ahead of time as well, then whipped up on serving day into a lighter ganache. Top with whipped cream and the orange peel garnish; it will serve 8 or so.
Peel of 1 orange
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. + 2 TBS. flour
1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 stick cold butter, plus 1 1/2 sticks butter
1/3 c. water
1 3/4 c. chocolate chips
1/8 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
About 3 TBS. granulated sugar
1. The candied orange peel will make enough for a few other dishes as well; use it chopped up in salads, or in other desserts. Heat the following, stirring until boiling, then simmer for an hour or so: > Peel of 1 orange > 1/4 c. water > 1/4 c. sugar
2. Prepare ganache a day ahead; this will give it a chance to firm up; it can then be whipped. Otherwise, in making it day-of, refrigerate it some, stirring occasionally, until it has cooled but isn’t too solid. Heat the butter and water first, in a saucepan on stovetop, or in microwave: > 1 1/2 sticks butter > 1/3 c. water
3. Add the following to the hot butter/water, stirring until chocolate chips are melted: > 1 3/4 c. chocolate chips> 1/8 tsp. orange extract > 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4. The crust can be prepared a day early, or the day-of. Process in food processor or blender: > 1 c. + 2 TBS. flour > 1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar
5. Add the cold butter pieces, pulsing until chopped medium-fine (with some pea-size bits still remaining). Use: > 1 stick cold butter, sliced into pieces.
6. Press the crust gently into an 8×8” pan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until slightly golden.
7. Let crust cool, then add the ganache topping. For the topping, first whip the ganache until light, then spread over cooled crust.
8. Top with whipped cream and candied orange peel. For whipped cream, whip until light and fluffy: > 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream > About 3 TBS. granulated sugar