It’s really easy to marinate mushrooms. Use a zip-lock bag, adding a bit of oil to coat the mushrooms. Add a touch of soy sauce, vinegar, and seasoning to that, letting them marinate for a few hours (or even a day). Throw ’em on the grill for even more flavor.
Leave the Parmesan out, for a vegan dish. Serves 4 as a side, or 2 for main dish.
- 12 oz. raw mushrooms
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 TBS. plus 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/2 TBS. plus 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz. angel hair pasta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 TBS. fresh, chopped garlic
- 1 TBS. fresh, chopped thyme and oregano (OR substitute 1/2 TBS. dry Italian herb blend)
- Parmesan cheese, optional
1. At least an hour ahead of time or up to 2 days earlier, toss well until oil’s absorbed: > 12 oz. raw mushrooms > 1/4 c. olive oil
2. After tossing with the oil, add the following, stirring some: > 1/2 TBS. each soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
3. Let the above marinate, refrigerating if doing this the day before. On serving day, grill in iron pan (or on barbeque) until golden-browned, stirring as needed: > Marinated mushrooms, sliced (or leave whole if barbequing)
4. Cook in boiling, salted water, stirring often, until tender (about 6-7 min.): > 8 oz. angel hair pasta
5. Drain and cool the cooked pasta. When mushrooms have browned, remove from pan, tossing with cooled pasta and a sprinkling of olive oil (to keep the pasta from clumping together). Next, grill in the same pan, drizzled w/olive oil: > 1 red bell pepper, diced
6. When red pepper is grilled, turn heat off, and add to pan: > 1 TBS. fresh, chopped garlic > 1 TBS. fresh, chopped thyme and oregano (OR substitute 1/2 TBS. dry Italian herb blend)
7. Stir the garlic and herbs, letting them “steep” in the warm pan for 5 min. or more. Also, reduce the following in a pot until slightly syrupy but not burned, boiling for about 5 min. (watch closely near end): > 1/2 c. soy sauce > 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
8. Toss the cooked pasta and mushrooms with the red pepper mix, adding: > The reduced soy sauce-mix
9. Serve at room-temperature or heated up, topped with parmesan cheese if you like. Most of this recipe can be done in steps ahead of time. A great cold pasta salad recipe, although it can also be reheated in the microwave or oven.