Though this is a quite textured corn bread, it is gluten-free, which can be a plus. The flavors go well with roasted meats (see Stuffed Pork Loin Roast here).
Use whole grain, organic corn flour from the health food store if possible (as opposed to the standard “degerminated” corn meal). Coconut milk can even substitute for the buttermilk. Maple syrup and frozen apple juice concentrate eliminate the need for refined sugar, while adding extra flavor and moistness.
Serves 4 (if half is used for the stuffed pork dish), or serves 8 as a side dish.
- Half of a medium onion (about 3/4 c.)
- 1/2 c. celery
- 1 med. apple
- 2 TBS. fresh chopped sage (or 2 tsp. dry
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS. frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 TBS. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 3/4 c. buttermilk (or substitute regular milk w/lemon added, or coconut milk)
- 1/3 c. golden raisins (Optional)
- 1 1/2 c. corn flour, not degerminated (found at health food stores)
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. In a 12″ skillet, grill the following in a dash of olive oil, until translucent, about 10 min.: > Half of a medium onion (about 3/4 c.), chopped > 1/2 c. celery, minced
2. To the cooked onion and celery in pan, add: > 1 med. apple, peeled, cored, and diced (about 1 c.)
3. Cook the apple/onion mix just a minute or so. Turn off heat and add: > 2 TBS. fresh chopped sage (or 2 tsp. dry)
4. In a separate bowl, beat: > 2 eggs
5. Also add to the egg bowl: > 2 TBS. frozen apple juice concentrate > 2 TBS. maple syrup > 1/4 c. olive oil > 3/4 c. buttermilk (or substitute regular milk w/lemon added, or coconut milk) > 1/3 c. golden raisins (optional)
6. Mix the dry ingredients separately: > 1 1/2 c. corn flour, not degerminated (find at health food stores) > 4 tsp. baking powder > 1/4 tsp. salt
7. To the egg bowl, also add: > The grilled mix > The dry ingredients
8. Mix everything up, stirring just until smooth. Add a splash of olive oil to the iron skillet, and pour the batter into the skillet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or so, until golden. Serve warm (or room temperature).