Easy Side Dish with Tropical Flavors
This Hawaiian recipe is a tropical combination of flavors and textures. Rice salads and pilafs are great for large gatherings; and for the vegans in the crowd. This dish can be served at room temperature– convenient! Serve 8 or so.
- 3 c. water
- 2 c. white rice*
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 1/3 c. sweetened dried mango (or substitute sweetened dried pineapple)
- 1/4 c. Macadamia nuts, raw
- 1/4 c. Italian Parsley
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- 2 TBS. frozen pineapple juice concentrate
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. sweetened coconut (optional)
1. A day ahead (or earlier in the day), cook the rice, so it has time to cool. Bring to boil: > 3 c. water
2. Add to boiling water, stirring once, then let simmer, unstirred, for 20 minutes or so: > 2 c. white rice*
3. Remove rice from heat. Stir into rice: > 1/4 c. coconut oil
4. Leave lid on; refrigerate rice until chilled.
5. Prep the following ingredients, so the whole dish can be tossed together at serving time. Chop the following: > 1/3 c. sweetened dried mango (or substitute sweetened dried pineapple) > 1/4 c. Macadamia nuts, raw > 1/4 c. Italian Parsley > 1/4 c. cilantro
6. Close to serving time, add: > All the chopped ingredients (nuts, fruit, herbs) > 2 TBS. frozen pineapple juice concentrate > 1/2 tsp. salt
7. Turn the mixed ingredients out into a serving bowl. Garnish with: > 1/3 c. sweetened coconut, toasted (broil for 2-3 minutes, or bake 10 minutes or so, watching carefully)
8. Serve dish at room temperature.
*Substitute brown rice for white rice if desired; just use 4 c. water to the 2 c. rice, and increase cooking time to 40 minutes