A gluten-free, whole grain option for dessert (or breakfast), this brown rice and custard dish is lightly sweetened with honey. Leftover rice from a previous meal can be used; white rice can also be substituted. Makes 8 servings.
- 5 c. milk (your choice whether low-fat or regular)
- Approx. 11/2 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 or 2 handfuls raisins
- 2/3 c. honey
- 8 eggs
- 1 TBS. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Scald (or microwave for 10 min. or so), just until milk gets slightly foamy: > 5 c. milk (non-fat or your choice)
2. Prepare pan by sprinkling cooked rice and raisins over bottom of 12 x 8 ” pan: > approx. 1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice > 1 or 2 handfuls raisins
3. In a mixing bowl, stir well until blended: > 2/3 c. honey > 8 eggs > 1 TBS. vanilla > 1 tsp. salt
4. Add scalded milk to the bowl, blending until smooth. Pour over the pan of rice and raisins. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon. Bake in a larger pan filled halfway up w/ water, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve warm or cold.