What can be easier to prepare for the buffet table than wicker baskets lined with lettuce, full of strawberries? Add a side of dipping sauce for a stress-free appetizer. Serve fruit dips in stemmed glasses for extra elegance.
The cream cheese fruit dip with orange goes well with the strawberries, and the chocolate sauce is always a favorite. The dips can be made conveniently a day ahead of time. Use about 2 pints of strawberries for each dip. Each dip serves 10-15.
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 TBS. honey
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
1. Microwave 1 minute or so, until hot: > 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
2. Add and stir until melted: > 1 c. chocolate chips > 1 TBS. honey > 1/4 tsp. vanilla
3. Serve dip with fresh fruits. Use bananas and other fruits too, but add lemon to such fruits to keep them from turning brown.
Sun-Kissed Fruit Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room-temperature
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 3 TBS. frozen orange juice concentrate
- Optional: 2 TBS. sugar
1. Whip until light: > 8 oz. cream cheese, room-temperature (warm in microwave at half-power, if necessary)
2. To the whipped cream cheese, add: > 1 tsp. orange zest (the gratings of about 1 orange) > 3 TBS. frozen orange juice concentrate > Optional: 2 TBS. sugar
3. This dip is not all too sweet, but is a good contrast to the chocolate, which goes very well with it. Ideally, start with sweet, quality strawberries; a great combination.